You’ve probably noticed quite a few homes and businesses with stucco exteriors. That’s because it’s one of the hottest siding materials in the industry—and for good reason! It offers a ton of advantages over other materials. But did you know that stucco has actually been a top choice for siding for centuries? Continue reading to learn a little bit about stucco’s history and why you should consider using it for your home:
- Ancient times: Ruins tell us that Greeks and Romans used stucco for both construction and art way before the first century A.D. These ancient civilizations made stucco by combining gypsum, marble dust and glue. Though these old-school methods wouldn’t pass a stucco inspection in Bluffton, SC nowadays, these ancient people still applied it to the outside of buildings to protect from the elements, and used it inside as a surface to paint gorgeous frescos, some of which are still around today.
- Use in the Renaissance: The Italians continued to use stucco throughout the ages, slowly honing it and making it a more durable construction material. Its popularity spread throughout Europe during the Renaissance, during which time it became one of the top choices for pretty much any type of structure you can imagine. By the 1800s, lime-based stucco was replaced with a cement base, which further increased the material’s durability and popularity.
- Popularity in America: As you can tell by looking around your neighborhood, Europeans aren’t the only people using stucco for construction. Stucco gained popularity here in the U.S. in the early 1900s with the rise in popularity of the Spanish Colonial-style building. Though stucco buildings and homes are found throughout the country, they’re most popular in the American Southwest, particularly in Texas, New Mexico and Arizona.
What are the benefits of stucco?
Stucco wouldn’t have lasted this long as a popular building material if it didn’t offer a long list of advantages. Here are just a few of the reasons why homeowners choose stucco for their siding:
- Insulation: Stucco keeps your home warm in the cold months, but perhaps more importantly, it keeps buildings cool on hot summer days! Its cooling abilities are part of what makes it so popular in Mediterranean countries and the American Southwest, where temperatures routinely reach the triple digits during the summer.
- Low cost: Choosing stucco is often one of the most budget-friendly options on the market. Compared to brick or wood siding, stucco is much less expensive and requires a lot less maintenance than other materials.
- Great look: Stucco wouldn’t be such an appealing building material if it were unattractive! Stucco provides a unique look that’s often tough to beat. When you add the fact that stucco can be dyed different colors, the choice is clear that stucco is likely to be a fantastic option for your siding.
Whether you’re planning on building a new home with a stucco exterior or you need a stucco inspection in Bluffton, SC, be sure to call the team at Spring Construction. We offer a wide variety of stucco services, all for the most competitive prices in town. Get in touch today to learn more!
Categorised in: Stucco